The Dangers of Mercury Fillings

Dr. Zach Hodgins, an Orlando dentist, is often asked about the safety of Mercury fillings that patients have in their mouths. While mercury fillings are still approved by the American Dental Association, Dr. Hodgins recognizes the hazards of this material, and has not used this material ever in his professional career. Many people do not realize the “silver” amalgam fillings are 50% mercury. In fact, a large mercury filling may contain as much mercury as a thermometer.

Mercury vaporizes easily at room temperature, and in this state, is odorless, colorless and tasteless, and very dangerous. If inhaled, mercury vapor is readily absorbed into the bloodstream. The World Health Organization has concluded that dental fillings contribute more mercury to a person’s body than all other sources of mercury combined. Mercury is a powerful poison, and should be avoided. Published research demonstrates that mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium or arsenic. No amount of exposure to mercury vapor can be considered harmless. Especially considering its cumulative effect. It is baffling to note that some dentists are still placing mercury fillings in patient’s mouths. It doesn’t make any sense that dentists that place mercury fillings, have to dispose of the excess mercury filling material in a special biohazardous container. Also, this container must be disposed of by a special biohazardous waste company. In the next blog posting, the dangers of Mercury Fillings will be discussed, as well as the systemic complications that have been proven to be connected with mercury toxicity.